Birth: c 1713
Birth Source: 1751 Will of William Reeves, age approximate from children's ages.
Death: 1781, Guilford County, North Carolina
Death Source: Will Probated Guilford County
Spouse1: Millicent MNU
- James Reeves, Jr., deceased before 17811
- Malachi Reeves, b. c1739, d. Nov 1784
- Jeremiah Reeves, b. c1740, d. 21 July 1806
- William Reeves, c1750, d. 1816 in Wilkes County, GA
- Elizabeth Reeves m. Holmes
- Delilah Reeves m. Robert Russell, d. 1835 Hardin County, TN
- Rhoda Reeves m. Parker
- Judith Reeves, b. 16 August 1743 m. Simon Moon
He and his wife Millicent, described as of Edgecombe County, sold 200 acres to Bryant Edmonson on the south side of the Great Quankey Creek adjoining former lands of Peter Jones, Thomas Matthis and Robert Wood on May 7, 1753. Witnessed by John Potts and William Carpenter. (Registered May Court 1753).
On 8 Oct 1754, either he or his son, James Jr., was on the muster roll of the Militia Regiment in Granville County, under the Command of Col. William Eaton.
1The following citations from 1760 in Granville County indicate that James Reeves had a son James Reeves, Jr. in addition to those children listed in his will:
- James Reaves and James Reaves, Jr. were listed as chain carriers in a plat for 700 acres on Fishing Creek granted to Robert Hicks, Granville, March 1, 1760. (North Carolina Archives MARS Nbr. ID 126.96.36.199)
- James Reaves and James Reaves, Jr. witnessed a grant to Robert Hicks for land in Granville County in the Parish of St. John on both sides of Fishing Creek, November 28, 1760.
On November 7, 1763, James and wife Milicent Reeves sold 200 acres to Malachy Reeves, Jr. on Fishing Creek. Witnessed by Nathaniel Perry and Robert Hicks. Then on November 25, 1765, James sold 100 acres to Robert Hicks which appears to be the last transaction by James Reeves in Granville County.
By 1768, James with son William as his tithe and Jeremiah Reeves are listed on Captain Thos. Donnell's Rowan County Tax List. This was an area of Rowan County that would become Guilford when it was formed in 1770. These three are also listed on the Rowan County tax lists again in 1770.