HistoryMecklenburg County was formed on 1 March 1765 from the portion of Lunenburg County which had previously been set apart as St. James Parish. The new county was named in honor of Princess Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, consort of George III.
The Meherrin River runs on its northern line, and the Roanoke through its southern portion. It was originally home to the Occoneechee Indians and several trading paths wound through the area. The Indians were driven away in 1676 by the British, led by Nathaniel Bacon.